No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.
I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.
Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife conservation, education equality and healthcare awareness.
My 5-year involvement in St. John Ambulance and 2-year involvement in LEO Club were the best learning experiences. Not only had they exposed me to the various social issues happening around me, my leadership and communication skills were enhanced too.
I became convinced to continue fighting for societal betterment, and joined Charisma Movement in my university years as a platform to make a difference. As the Co-Executive Director, I was able to lead the organisation to host impactful charitable projects to improve the welfare of students in rural Sabah, and even raised awareness on breast and ovarian cancer. These life experiences helped me gain confidence and trained my ability to adapt to and grow in different situations.
Outside of my studies and co-curricular participation, I hike frequently to enjoy the gorgeous nature- both in Malaysia and the UK. Fitness became another important aspect in my life as it alleviates my mood and keeps me healthy. I found myself looking healthier as I started to work out and realised that my lack of confidence partially came from looking scrawny.
I was introduced to getting a gym membership and have utilised my extra time fighting to discipline my body and toning my physique. After starting to let my friends take modelling photographs of myself, I became determined to look better and healthier, and I even started getting on more balanced diets.
Over 2021, I was offered chances to work with 3 photographers in the UK, and together, we created a series of professional modelling photographs. It was out of my comfort zone to work with foreign strangers, moreover they are from the creative industry! These sessions gave birth to a more confident me, and these photographers taught me that working with passion is an essential thing in life, as you are your best self when you do something you love.
This is the one most important thing I learned throughout the years, and this is my story.
By,
Euan Thum.







Comments
Post a Comment