Skip to main content

Mystery Of The Plane

THE LONGEST HUNT EVER and the biggest loss of our nation of the Malaysian Airlines(MAS)’s Boeing 777-200 ER airliner, MH370, started from the 8th of March 2014. As everyone has already learnt about it from the daily news, I won’t want to blab about this for long. Let’s refer to our texts below for the rearranged and simplified details of the grievous incident and our leaders’ acts in seeking the plane.

  According to the reports given off by the news reporters, the flight left KLIA at 12.41am and straight headed to its originally scheduled destination, Beijing. Flying the plane was Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah and his assistant pilot, Fariq Abdul Hamid, who both held the heavy burden of the other 237 souls onboard. Subang Air Traffic reportedly lost contact with the plane as it mysteriously disappeared all of sudden from the radar screen. Our country along side with our ‘neighbours’ including China, Vietnam and Singapore launched an immediate rescue operation with numerous aircrafts and ships holding various functions to a part of the South China Sea, where it was around 120 nautical miles east to Kota Bahru.

  Several unexpected obstacles took places during the investigation. As you had heard, two male passengers were found to have boarded the flight with stolen passports, which raised the possibility of an unwanted terrorist attack. The two men were later identified as Iranians, and were believed to be illegal immigrants. Meanwhile, the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) reported to the media that they had found a pretty vast oil slick about 100 nautical miles off Tok Bali, Kelantan. The samples collected were then tested and fortunately it was only bunker oil from a ship. A long list of technical experts from Boeing volunteered into investigation team while more countries offered us their full support.
  Bukit Aman made the moves to investigate the possibility of hijacking or sabotage, and not forgotten any psychological problem among the passengers and crew that might cause any influence to the case. The search was expanded to the Straits of Malacca and the Andaman Sea because the RMAF radar was reported to have tracked an unidentified aircraft flying across the Peninsular from the last known position of MH370 about 45 minutes after the airliner vanished from the civilian radar. Another news report claimed that the Boeing 777 aircraft could have blown up in mid-air due to unexpected engine problems that happened suddenly, but USA rejected it for its satellites did not detach any explosion in the air.
  The Pentagon indicated that MH370 had crashed into the Indian Ocean. A military officer surfaced the theory that the plane was deliberately turned towards the Indian Ocean by someone with up-to-date flying knowledge and radar positions. That left the police no choice but to investigate Captain Zaharie’s background and the investigations proved that the pilot himself and his co-pilot do not have any flying experience in the search corridors. The Captain was also reportedly a PKR fanatic and the authorities believed that the missing aircraft might be an act of political protest. Other than that, the government had received background-check results on the passengers from all relevant countries, stating there were no suspicions.
 
  The number of countries involved in the search climbs up to 25, including France, Laos and South Korea. Australia suggested a highly-possible breakthrough as its satellite show two objects in the sea that were suspected to be related to the missing  airplane. Several aircrafts and ships were sent to the site but the debris had not been located, suspected they might have sunk and looking for it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Another threat to the rescue team was Cyclone Gillian, which made the patch of ocean where the search was taking place one of the harshest points on Earth. The Prime Minister then announced that the flight path of MH370 ended somewhere over the Indian Ocean, with all passengers onboard presumed dead.
  The Malaysian authorities promised that the search would continue and search efforts will now solely focus on the southern area of the ocean, hoping that the black box will be found as soon as possible before the battery is used up. Meanwhile, angry relatives of China passengers aboard MH370 protested outside the Embassy of Malaysia in Beijing. Well, we believe that all we can do is to wait patiently for the results our government can give. Keep your fingers crossed, miracles do happen.

By,
Euan Thum, 17/5/14.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...