Skip to main content

This Perfect 'Sick Beat'

The seven-time Grammy Awards winner, Taylor Swift, with that bewitching and fascinating combination of strength and vulnerability, has undeniably transformed herself into one of the most inspirational singer-writer of this generation. The American blonde, who turned 25 last December, had struck yet another massive success with 1.287 million copies of her fifth studio album, 1989, sold out in its first week of release. The album broke numerous records as the 19th album in music history to achieve more than 1 million first-week sales, and even succeeded in surpassing the Frozen: Soundtrack to be the best-selling record in the year of 2014.


  Inspired by the remarkable music produced in the 1980s, Swift blends her very personal and daring song-writing prowess into the genre of Pop, making an album louder and poppier than anything she had ever released before. Her act has been noted as a dare shift, for it is a verily risky decision to make, to put her reputation on an unpredictable wager. In fact, months before announcing the advent of her latest masterpiece, the I Knew You Were Trouble hit-maker promised her faithful fans for brand new changes in music, including gripping a ‘sonically-cohesive’ state that one never get to have from her four previous albums.

  Swift honourably named the record her ‘first official and documented Pop album’. It consists of 13 tracks, containing notable hits such as Blank Space and Style, which have both stormed the world with top rankings on international charts. It has well earned positive ratings from a long list of entertainment magazines and organizations (eg. The Rolling Stone, The Telegraph, Billboard, Time etc), boasting its popularity up to yet a greater plight no one has ever foreseen.


  A perfect example that marks the singer’s departure from pure country is the lead single off the album, Shake It Off. The song obtained 544,000 units of sale, becoming the longest debut sales week for a single in 2014. This marvellous tune made its climb to the peak of Billboard Charts for 4 non-consecutive weeks and even received nominations for ‘Song of The Year’ and ‘Record of The Year’ at the Grammy Awards 2015.

  The four-time multiplatinum album-maker filters the song with her recently-conquered life lesson of having to deal with everyday basis in a feeling of humiliation and to learn a peculiar sense of humour out of it. She builds her self-confidence up by shutting out the ear-splitting echoes of critics through her clumsy dance moves, creating significant T-Swift trademarks of the 1989 era.

  “For the last few years, I’ve woken up every day not wanting, but needing to write a new style of music. I needed to change the way I told my stories and the way they sounded.

  “There's a song that I wrote a couple years ago called ‘Mean’, where I addressed the same issue but I addressed it very differently. I said, "Why you gotta be so mean?" from kind of a victimized perspective, which is how we all approach bullying or gossip when it happens to us for the first time. But in the last few years I've gotten better at just kind of laughing off things that absolutely have no bearing on my real life,” Swift shared with NPR’s Radio DJ Melissa Black.


  “My decision to make a Pop album was an intuition thing. I wanted it to make people dance.”  


By,
Euan Thum,
Collaborated with,
Ronin Lim Jing Lii.

Written on
22/4/15,
Rated 5 out of 5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...