Skip to main content

Don't Strike The ACE

According to Wikipedia, gambling is the wagering of valuables with an uncertain outcome. Many enjoy the satisfaction it can bring through the winning of pennies. However, it is in fact a blind favor of indulgence, in which a gambler strikes on the climax of his nights without foreseeing the adverse effects that might be cast from the actions.

  Many hold the false idea that gambling is the most effective method of striking riches instantly. People stride into casinos, with eyes gleaming with hopes in acclaiming double or even triple the value they wager. But gambling is unpredictable. It is a pure dependence on luck without any guarantee of winning, which causes us to lose money easily. How? A missing piece of luck can lure gamblers into incorrigible addiction given that some unsatisfied people believe their system will always pay off on the next round.


  As the gamblers get addicted to gambling, they would rather spend their days at the gambling table than to work for a living, even their time at home can be willfully limited. Being tenacious than ever, they push advices aside, as if an unbreakable bond has formed between them and the game of darkness. Less time spent with family means the lack of attention and care for the family members. This eventually becomes the cause of failure in building a secure family relationship. As we love our family, we should provide them as much security and comfort in life as we can, instead of wasting our time in casinos and let our money evaporate with the fragile hopes that it can make us richer.

  Moving on, many gamblers turn to loan sharks to feed their addiction to gambling, which is already on a daily basis for them. However, borrowing money from loan sharks might lead to endless amounts of interests they are incapable of paying back, thus causing them a financial catastrophe. As a result, their family members may have to face unscrupulous loan sharks, who collect debts by applying violence and are considered threats to their safety and peace. How can gambling be denied as a risk of losing a massive fortune or a harmony life?

  On the other hand, as many gamblers pursue the act of gambling at home, they provide an early exposure to their children. With the youngsters’ immensely-aroused curiosity, all they do is just blindly imitate the adults’ bad examples. They only have to pick up a deck of cards or a Mahjong dice to indulge themselves in their parents’ favourite ‘pastime’. This in turn leads to the production of a new generation of future gamblers. If this situation proceeds, the addiction to gambling in people will never end as it has already been built in mind from a young age.


  However, gambling has been deemed an undesirable act in Malaysia since donkey’s years. The government has been continually drilling the negative effects of wagering in the public’s mindsets especially the younger generation, through prominent mediums such as education and the social media. It is undeniable that children are the future of our nation. We have great expectations of them in bringing up the country’s economic success and prosperity. Hence, we simply cannot afford to have them involved in gambling.


  Wasting time and money, facing threats of loan sharks and affecting the younger generation-- these are the solid reasons why people should stop gambling that can be evidently observed from our society. However, these are, ironically, just the tip of an iceberg. If we dream of bringing our country up to a world-class status, all acts of gambling must be stopped at all costs. And on my part, I will initiate myself in programmes to advocate the demerits of gambling and the undesirable consequences that it might bring to the public at large, especially the youngsters. 


By,
Euan Thum.
Editted by,
Thum Voon Thik.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...