Euan Thum is a Malaysian model and poet based in Coventry, United Kingdom. He has worked with renowned photographers from Britain, Poland, Italy, Pakistan and Malaysia. In the field of poetry, Euan's work has been featured in multiple international publications including the Nightingale Journal and the Beckindale Poetry Journal. This is an interview with Red Game Magazine, done in August 2020.
When did you know that this was the right path for you?
I grew up timid and reserved, and at many points in my childhood I could hardly stand up for myself. In my mid-teens, I was bursting with opinions and emotions- thus I ventured into the art of creation, using poetry and photography as a platform to express myself. When I started sharing my work, hearing feedback about how poems I wrote inspired or impressed someone out there gave me the confidence to convey my creativity with words; the way I grew more outspoken as I discussed my work with others also pushed my boundaries to be more vocal about my views. Seeing how the art I created has left impacts beyond myself, it drove me to find my voice and utilise it in helping others who found it hard to be themselves. The entire journey I have had thus far is assuring that the path is right and I am excited to see where this road leads to- hopefully I get to learn more and help more people.
What do you like most about what you do?
I like the flexibility in the creative direction that I take, which allows me to adhere to my personal artistic preferences while challenging myself with new dimensions. Recently I published my first poetry collection, which I single-handedly compiled and designed. I embraced the opportunity to integrate the publication as a career builder and as a charismatic movement by donating my proceeds to social services. I think as much as I receive public support for my art, there is a capacity for charitable contributions, and I am glad that I get to help the less fortunate with my creativity.
What is the biggest obstacle you have faced in your career, and how did you overcome it?
Having people telling me that I am not talented- criticism in the face- is the hardest challenge I have encountered. I think that as often as there are compliments, there are unpleasant remarks, which can really douse the excitement to continue thriving. It takes a significant amount of self-belief to keep yourself unaffected. I find that being true to yourself at all times and not defining your own worth using others’ values or standards are of absolute importance.
If your phone could ring right now with your dream opportunity, what would that be?
A chance to interview Taylor Swift face-to-face and have dinner with her afterwards.
What do you want people to remember most about you and your career?
I hope people can have the courage to be truthful to themselves and reflect that genuineness in the way they carry out with their lives. That is one thing I feel that would keep you sane and aware of your identity throughout your life, or your career in creative arts. If I ever manage to inspire anyone to believe that everyone is worth being loved and appreciated for who they are, I think I have left an important legacy in this world.
Comments
Post a Comment