My friends and I visited Batu Caves, one exact week before Thaipusam to observe the festival. There was a crowd, but certainly not as crazy as it would be on the big day itself. Here are some shots I managed to take there, and I absolutely love the colours. Seeing Thaipusam is tomorrow, here is my first photo journal, while another blog post on the festival and all the things I had managed to see there will arrive later this month.
Devotees often start their day with prayers and rituals by a local river.


The high levels of concentration and devotion towards their religion are admirable.


The high levels of concentration and devotion towards their religion are admirable.
A simple altar on the ground would use banana leaves as a base. Coconuts, bananas, betel leaves, betel nuts, joss sticks, herbal ash, puffed rice, vermillion and sandalwood paste are some of the common things you could spot at an altar.

A large Kavadi being set up. A Kavadi is a physical burden, worn as additional weight to symbolise and challenge the bearer's devotion.

Families with large Kavadis will also hire drum teams as part of their parade.


Piercings are also commonly seen during Thaipusam.


Man bearing a traditional Kavadi, which resembles a wooden pole, with small milk pots attached to the sides.


Mother and daughter each holding a milk pot.

The milk they carried in the pots was offerings to Lord Murugan. Milk is a valuable commodity as it is a product of cows, which are viewed as holy animals in Hinduism.

Here's a pile of empty milk cartons which I was surprised to notice.

Devotees traditionally dress in yellow as it is Lord Murugan's favourite colour.

The inside of Batu Caves, up the famous flight of 272 stairs. It was incredibly lively.




Comments
Post a Comment