Skip to main content

Why I Want To Be A Journalist?

I live with the firm conviction that journalism is a noble profession. From the various media the reporters present their works, the flames of my admiration towards them are still fanned as they have always inspired me holistically.

  The news is undoubtedly something that trends as the whole globe spins. There is always something new happening, and journalists won’t stop chasing it. I would say that it is like a kaleidoscope that reflects our society to the people; yet it’s like a flawless stream of knowledge that flows through the streets into our minds.


  Remember the mystery of MH370? Mean but true, I ponder if the reporters should be blamed for their failure in not being able to convey their worries and sorrow to me, as their words seemed only stern and dull. Only if I had been offered the golden opportunity to explore more about what had really happened, I would have had the genuine chemistry of grief passed down to my readers. A professional writer who is adroit with a complete arsenal of English writing techniques composes to touch his readers’ hearts. He has to make them feel the live atmosphere with his own words; he needs to express the feelings like he himself had just witnessed the accident and was shocked in the blues.

  The American singer-songwriter, Taylor Swift, once told the media she thought that it’s part of a song-writer’s job to feel things. Indeed. And I think that this is an essential point for a journalist too, because by blending some feelings into the words, the reports could be presented up to a higher level of ratings, instead of just mainstreamly imitating the ubiquity. Some faithful readers might even have the exact ideas in mind and agree on what he portrays. I have confidence in writing the actual facts with parts of my logical ideas as I had been practising this kind of articles since a year ago.

  I think that life is a mysterious wonder in itself as there is always something to be written about. Immense mirth strikes when I intend to elaborate my essays; it is undeniably challenging to swirl in various adjectives or gripping styles of penning. As a journalist, I would be well placed to meet both exemplary national and international idols whom I fond of. Getting to rub shoulders with more people from all fields of profession is an utterly remarkable thing. A word or quote from them is even useful enough to leave inestimable impacts on one. How wouldn’t I love to sacrifice my time for such siestas on compiling instead?

  The fact is solid that being a journalist leads my list of preferred careers. This is undeniably the best choice of occupation for it is something that helps enhancing and developing myself to be out of the ordinary, and much better than the rest of the world. You know, the confidence I would gain by trying to make new friends, to speak up and even to try out things that I have never experienced before. Life can hardly be doubted as a party and how exciting the party is will only depend on how creative we are to throw it.

  I dreamed a dream since I was young to conquer the vast world and let people know my name like how they gloriously recognise Marina Mahathir. I hope my journey in blogging would further facilitate my desire of being a journalist, by building a path of early triumph for the marvellous future I crave for. Let it be an ultimate platform for me to express my wherewithal among the competing wordsmiths in the labyrinth of News’ World. Perhaps when the time comes I will no longer rate my dream as spectacular, but as legend--wait--for--it--DARY!

  Life won’t be lacklustre again if we learn to strive success with the best of our souls. With words that can be twisted around and all those puns intending prowess, English writing is the fun we all cannot miss. But of course, we won’t have to be a novelist to compose. We are not writing fiction so we can’t have sparkling Edward or the Girl On Fire; we are doing the news.



By,
Euan Thum,
Edited by,
Sean Thum,
Thum Voon Thik.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...