Skip to main content

The Virtual Battlefield

Advancement in social media has brought convenience into many's lives. Yet, one man's meat is another man's poison. Social medias have a dark side in secret many could not identify at first sight. The virtual platform is a breeding ground of cyberbullying.

The Morbid Headcounts
  A recent sharp rise in the number of depression cases and suicide reports has aroused the society's concern. Statistics have shown that 60% of depression cases in Malaysia are caused by cyber-bullying. Teenagers enjoy the fun social medias can bring, where they share their candid moments in life with friends and stay in contact.

  Well, that's what most of us thought. In reality, the network is often misused as a battlefield to discriminate specific individuals. The reasons to sparkle online feud is often variable. Some 'gang up' to dominate over a particular person probably just based on his small-sized body frame, a scar on his body, parents' occupations or anything else that highlights a difference from the mainstream.

  Pictures, 'memes', criticism and vulgar words and many more are used as deadly weapons to cyberbully the victims. And as heard from a friend's personal experience, he has once witnessed a classmate facing similar problems. He was called nasty nicknames in school, received prank videos and false rumours about him was spread on Facebook. Being a timid and introverted boy, he did not dare to voice up for himself. The last resort was to hang himself to escape the humiliation. Such a waste, for a young, innocent 15-year-old boy like him.

  And as for my friend who told me the story, he is still drenched in guilt till today for not standing up for him. He regretted so badly for not reporting the case to an adult.


  Cyber-bullying is one of the worst kind of crimes as it affects the victim not physically but emotionally. It can leave a dark trail in the victim's mind and might cause him to have signs of self-harm and violence towards others. Suicide is the worst scenario. Yet, the number of cases is getting more and more significant in recent years.

  Studies show that almost 45% of the criminals, rapists and thieves caught in the United State of America are reported to have experienced cyber-bulling in the past. Researchers believe that the emotional turmoil caused when they were young might have sprouted their desires to commit crimes in order to indulge in the excitement brought by the ventures.

Initiating Is The Way To Help
  For the mean bullies behind the screens, it's an act of cowardy. Cyber-bullying should and must be brought to a stop! But... how?

  The most important, is not to be a bully yourself. While you can't control others in not doing so, stop yourself first. It is pointless to extract joy from others' grieves. Be the one in your community to put a full stop on this. Let your family and friends be a part of the fight by joining awareness-spreading campaigns together. Also, always share news with each other on cases as such and constantly remind each other about the demerits of the revolting act.

  Next, never ever expect or wait for others to initiate themselves if there is a case around you. Be the one to initiate and seek help instantly. Don't hesitate to stand out for the victims as they might not be bold enough to speak for themselves. If you feel inferior to solve the issue directly with the bully, let someone else who would do it know. Or if you rather, make a police report.

  Some victims might hide their sorrow with a smile when trying to avoid attention. When you suspect a case is in development, try your best to convince the victim that there's no point to fear and help is always in reach. You may opt to bring them to counselling sessions where they can pour their hearts out and feel better. This boosts their self-confidence too.

  Let's hold hands and pray for cyber-bullying to be stopped in the world. It might take some time, but I'm sure it it never to late to start now.


By,
Euan Thum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...