Kolej Tuanku Ja'afar is organising its first TEDx talk in history two days from now, which is 21 October 2018 (Sunday).
There's no need to guess my reason of making this mention. I am one of the 13 event speakers, addressing the issue of youths' misuse of social media as a platform of building a perfect image. I am sharing personal experience of my own, as a heavy user of Facebook and Instagram. I have started using Facebook since 2010, Instagram started 3 years later. The very first thought of joining was merely to connect with friends and express my love for photography. However, my way of using such platforms over the years had changed so much.
I realised I was building a certain image for myself-- one who shares his exciting encounters and achievements; one who associates success with popularity derived from the number of 'likes' I received. There had been too many pictures where I looked 'overjoyed', or seemed to be having fun in life, even though the real-life truth is not as beautiful. I had my bad times of emotional struggles from exams stress, broken friendship and high expectations. These were never shown in the pictures. My life on social just seemed too perfect, it was fake.
First, the obsession of having an untouchable, flawless life on social media could lead a person to symptoms of mental health deterioration. Stress, anxiety, paranoia, or in more serious cases- depression or even suicide. Showcasing lifestyles on social medias becomes a form of comparisons, where individuals compete the level of luxury in meals and travels. This is unhealthy.
Second, social media is turned into a platform where users do not feel safe to express their actual personal feelings. It is too wide a platform where information can be shared just too easily, and they are the main facets of our lives presented to others. One wrong word could lead to form a different impression. No one would be bold to show vulnerability, even to his or her friends, for the pride of having an exquisite lifestyle.
Third, a lifestyle showcased on social medias is not always the truth. The most influential diva on Instagram might not even keep up with a proper conversation in real life. Or perhaps, someone who looks overjoyed is in fact depressed, self-harming or suicidal. The pictures on screen hardly tell the entire story of an individual. Getting to know in real life might inspire you in more ways. Or perhaps, you could save a life.
Thus, I plead that you consider the materials you publish on social media, and the image you are building for yourself. Ask yourself, if it is necessary? Is it real? Do you feel like you are actually sharing your excitement in life, or just keeping up with the trend of having a perfect summer holiday?
As I prepare for my topic 'Building a false image of perfection on social media', the school's Social Media Club interviewed me. The video was posted on our TEDx page on Facebook. It was shared several times and have accumulated over 900 views in less than one week's time. Wow. That's a new EuanThum-milestone. But certainly, just another good image I got the chance to put up.
https://www.facebook.com/tedxyouthktj/videos/2147763632158743/UzpfSTEwMDAxMDk4MTQ3MTc3NDo3MTI1ODM4MzU3ODQzMjY/?story_fbid=712583835784326&id=100010981471774¬if_id=1539602761111005¬if_t=feedback_reaction_generic
By,
Euan Thum.
There's no need to guess my reason of making this mention. I am one of the 13 event speakers, addressing the issue of youths' misuse of social media as a platform of building a perfect image. I am sharing personal experience of my own, as a heavy user of Facebook and Instagram. I have started using Facebook since 2010, Instagram started 3 years later. The very first thought of joining was merely to connect with friends and express my love for photography. However, my way of using such platforms over the years had changed so much.
I realised I was building a certain image for myself-- one who shares his exciting encounters and achievements; one who associates success with popularity derived from the number of 'likes' I received. There had been too many pictures where I looked 'overjoyed', or seemed to be having fun in life, even though the real-life truth is not as beautiful. I had my bad times of emotional struggles from exams stress, broken friendship and high expectations. These were never shown in the pictures. My life on social just seemed too perfect, it was fake.
First, the obsession of having an untouchable, flawless life on social media could lead a person to symptoms of mental health deterioration. Stress, anxiety, paranoia, or in more serious cases- depression or even suicide. Showcasing lifestyles on social medias becomes a form of comparisons, where individuals compete the level of luxury in meals and travels. This is unhealthy.
Second, social media is turned into a platform where users do not feel safe to express their actual personal feelings. It is too wide a platform where information can be shared just too easily, and they are the main facets of our lives presented to others. One wrong word could lead to form a different impression. No one would be bold to show vulnerability, even to his or her friends, for the pride of having an exquisite lifestyle.
Third, a lifestyle showcased on social medias is not always the truth. The most influential diva on Instagram might not even keep up with a proper conversation in real life. Or perhaps, someone who looks overjoyed is in fact depressed, self-harming or suicidal. The pictures on screen hardly tell the entire story of an individual. Getting to know in real life might inspire you in more ways. Or perhaps, you could save a life.
Thus, I plead that you consider the materials you publish on social media, and the image you are building for yourself. Ask yourself, if it is necessary? Is it real? Do you feel like you are actually sharing your excitement in life, or just keeping up with the trend of having a perfect summer holiday?
As I prepare for my topic 'Building a false image of perfection on social media', the school's Social Media Club interviewed me. The video was posted on our TEDx page on Facebook. It was shared several times and have accumulated over 900 views in less than one week's time. Wow. That's a new EuanThum-milestone. But certainly, just another good image I got the chance to put up.
https://www.facebook.com/tedxyouthktj/videos/2147763632158743/UzpfSTEwMDAxMDk4MTQ3MTc3NDo3MTI1ODM4MzU3ODQzMjY/?story_fbid=712583835784326&id=100010981471774¬if_id=1539602761111005¬if_t=feedback_reaction_generic
By,
Euan Thum.


Comments
Post a Comment