Skip to main content

One Week At A Quarantine Centre

It's funny how it has been a week since I arrived at Sunway Pyramid Hotel- time really does fly. Many might detest the lack of social interaction at a quarantine centre, but for me, as an introvert who usually spends more than half a day in my room, I have somehow immensely enjoyed this time of isolation.

  Like many who returned from a foreign country with a time difference, I spent the first few days adjusting my sleep schedule. I ended up waking up before dawn, way much in time to watch sunrises, and took naps at noon even though I consumed coffee earlier that morning. This is my first time returning from the UK, I wonder if other first timers go through a similar experience.


  I remember mentioning in my previous blog post that the food I received was slightly insufficient. Good news is, there have been an increase in the amount of food they give us. I can't tell for sure if anyone made a complaint, but I am extremely grateful for the change as the meals nowadays are much more filling. I always yell 'Thank You' to the the team of staff distributing food door by door. I don't get to see them all the time; when I do, it's two or three of them in Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), pushing carts with containers stacked up. It's more or less a different group of people doing the job every time- I could tell from their voices when they yelled back 'Welcome'. That is the only in-person interaction I get these days.



Nice food, and a nice view: What's more to ask for?

  The medical staff based at the hotel would ring us every single day to check on us, especially our health, asking questions like: How do you feel? Have you shown any symptoms? I think the staff are genuinely friendly and assuring in their tones, even though they are merely carrying out their duties. This is in contrast with some supermarket cashiers I have met in the UK, so I guess it's not wrong when Malaysia was named as one of the friendliest country.

  The medical team has even checked on me in-person on one of the days. In armours of PPE, they tested my body temperature and passed me some documents to keep. I was informed that more than 500 returned travellers are currently stationed at Sunway Pyramid Hotel.

  I have also received some additional goods during my stay. It's like whenever my bell was rang outside the allocated food delivery times, I would very likely be blessed with surprises. On one of those days, I found a bag of snacks at my door! For someone who loves snacking while doing his revisions, that pack of goodies was a key to my cloud nine.


  We then received a bag of toiletries a few days later. I was undeniably touched to receive these items, and it made me feel like the ones managing the quarantine centres actually care about our welfare.


  I do laundry in my room, by washing my clothes and squeezing water out of them by hand (because I obviously cannot afford the exorbitant rates for laundry services). It does take a longer time for my clothes to dry off, considering airflow is limited in the room- I don't have an open window. However, they still managed to dry off. I was interviewing people on Skype recently about their experiences of being innovative, and I remembered looking for an answer myself, safe to say it's my inconsistent attempt to dry my washed laundry by directing the hair dryer heat at them.

  Another reason that convinced me of the authorities' effort in taking care of our welfare is the distribution of their 'Happy Kit'. It's basically a compilation of infographics on emotional care and games (eg. Spot The Difference and word search). There is also a link to a survey form we are required to fill up, to help them evaluate our psychological and emotional well-being at such a difficult time. Thank you!



  I don't know if I am the only one actually enjoying my stay- I have very little idea how the other returnees are coping. I am rather engaged with work (and watching Youtube videos). How are you guys doing, those in or out of a quarantine centre?


By,
Euan Thum,
14/4/2020.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...