My 20s is about making the dreams from my 10s come true.
I never knew back in 2014 that I will be writing poetry for the many years to come. Little did I know that I would start my own blog, feature all my work on it and share them all over Facebook. On the day I decided I would try writing a poem and have it sent to Nicholas Wong's Almostpoetic for advice, my life had evolved to use poetry as an outlet of my bursting emotions.
Poetry is very smart. It takes no standard form- it can be long, complex, rhyming; short, simple or even if its form does not make sense at all. I understand it as a limitless form of art capable of conveying emotions in the use of very few words. It has that rare beauty of capturing a moment, leaving a memory timeless. I draw inspirations from all sorts of materials presented to me in my life and I am a proud sharer of my work online, as I present my perspectives and emotions to the world with metaphor as my only filter. To date, I have completed around 130 poems, each telling a story. As far as I remember, some deliver a weeping sentiment; some are sowed with seeds to my sheepish grins; some still question my doubts and worries.
I have always wanted to put together a collection of poems, bind them in a magazine form, and release it as an artwork. It is an art I pursue. Recently, with the extra amount of time I have, thanks to the Movement Control Order, I have compiled a 16-poem collection titled CHECKMATE. I have no intention of releasing it just yet. However, I have decided that I would release its exclusive extended version, which comes with 4 more poems, as a charity gift to those who generously donate to Charisma Movement.
Who is Charisma Movement?
Charisma Movement is a youth-led organisation which offers opportunities to volunteer in various locations in Malaysia, tackling a range of fields from education, environment to activism and social inclusion. Notably, its Anak Malaysia Project (previously known as Project Teringai-Temunda) reaches out to primary school children in rural Sabah to inspire them like sprouting seeds, pushing them towards realising their potential. Wildlife Conservation Project (previously known as Project Penyu) brings volunteers to Terengganu for examining the habitats of turtles, fireflies, river terrapins and contributing in conserving the environment for them. As for Inspire Initiative, a platform for the general public to turn their ideas into a reality, Charisma Movement is proud to steer their focus in the direction of raising awareness for breast and ovarian cancers as well as palliative care, through their upcoming projects in 2021.
How does it work?
For kind-hearted souls contributing RM20/GBP5 or above, I will gift you an E-copy of one self-written poem, beautifully designed.
For generous souls contributing RM50/GBP10 or above, I will gift you an E-copy of the exclusive extended version of my first poetry collection titled CHECKMATE, which comprises 20 self-written poems (4 more than the ordinary version).
If you are interested in sharing a bit of kindness and potentially inspiring someone to continue their education beyond primary school or helping to conserve turtles and other Malaysian wildlife, please donate using the links below:
To make a donation in Malaysian Ringgit (RM), click here. (minimum RM10)
To make a donation in The British Pounds (GBP), click here.
If your amount of donation meets any of the criteria above, please fill up this super short google form to help me keep track of your email address. Thank you!
I never knew back in 2014 that I will be writing poetry for the many years to come. Little did I know that I would start my own blog, feature all my work on it and share them all over Facebook. On the day I decided I would try writing a poem and have it sent to Nicholas Wong's Almostpoetic for advice, my life had evolved to use poetry as an outlet of my bursting emotions.
Poetry is very smart. It takes no standard form- it can be long, complex, rhyming; short, simple or even if its form does not make sense at all. I understand it as a limitless form of art capable of conveying emotions in the use of very few words. It has that rare beauty of capturing a moment, leaving a memory timeless. I draw inspirations from all sorts of materials presented to me in my life and I am a proud sharer of my work online, as I present my perspectives and emotions to the world with metaphor as my only filter. To date, I have completed around 130 poems, each telling a story. As far as I remember, some deliver a weeping sentiment; some are sowed with seeds to my sheepish grins; some still question my doubts and worries.
I have always wanted to put together a collection of poems, bind them in a magazine form, and release it as an artwork. It is an art I pursue. Recently, with the extra amount of time I have, thanks to the Movement Control Order, I have compiled a 16-poem collection titled CHECKMATE. I have no intention of releasing it just yet. However, I have decided that I would release its exclusive extended version, which comes with 4 more poems, as a charity gift to those who generously donate to Charisma Movement.
Who is Charisma Movement?
Charisma Movement is a youth-led organisation which offers opportunities to volunteer in various locations in Malaysia, tackling a range of fields from education, environment to activism and social inclusion. Notably, its Anak Malaysia Project (previously known as Project Teringai-Temunda) reaches out to primary school children in rural Sabah to inspire them like sprouting seeds, pushing them towards realising their potential. Wildlife Conservation Project (previously known as Project Penyu) brings volunteers to Terengganu for examining the habitats of turtles, fireflies, river terrapins and contributing in conserving the environment for them. As for Inspire Initiative, a platform for the general public to turn their ideas into a reality, Charisma Movement is proud to steer their focus in the direction of raising awareness for breast and ovarian cancers as well as palliative care, through their upcoming projects in 2021.
How does it work?
For kind-hearted souls contributing RM20/GBP5 or above, I will gift you an E-copy of one self-written poem, beautifully designed.
For generous souls contributing RM50/GBP10 or above, I will gift you an E-copy of the exclusive extended version of my first poetry collection titled CHECKMATE, which comprises 20 self-written poems (4 more than the ordinary version).
If you are interested in sharing a bit of kindness and potentially inspiring someone to continue their education beyond primary school or helping to conserve turtles and other Malaysian wildlife, please donate using the links below:
To make a donation in Malaysian Ringgit (RM), click here. (minimum RM10)
To make a donation in The British Pounds (GBP), click here.
If your amount of donation meets any of the criteria above, please fill up this super short google form to help me keep track of your email address. Thank you!
Note: Fundraising period is from the 11th of May 2020 to the 9th of June 2020.
To find out more about Charisma Movement:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
By,
Euan Thum.



Comments
Post a Comment