Skip to main content

Nudity: Perspectives Beyond 'Oh It's Related To Sex'

Having come from a conservative country, nudity is a huge taboo. You can’t avoid the sounds of ‘yerrrr’ or ‘yuckkkk’ when somebody in the room (or in sight) is naked. Someone is bound to make a reaction. Yep, that’s where I came from. 

Being put in a boarding school hostel near the country’s capital where open showers were practised as a sign of brotherhood, it was a rare glimpse into that Western culture we so commonly see on TV, where students openly shower after some sports sessions but nobody makes a whine. It was hard to assimilate into that environment at first, for sure, with my heart racing anytime I had to go into the shower room and if anyone entered the space when I was in there. But I’ve learnt a thing or two there after a few rounds- it’s not that bad being seen naked- the question to myself was, why was I ashamed of my body? Too skinny, or too small? Was I trying to hide anything? In the world of highschoolers and teenagers, body image discrimination could be a huge thing. But surprisingly, not in that very hostel. The courage to be a part of that culture seemed to guarantee a returning sense of respect where no remarks were allowed or tolerated. What I used to have in my community, all the ‘ewwww’s and frowns and bullying laughter seem to be non-existent here. Instead, schoolmates look at each other eye-to-eye, chatting about their homework and fresh jokes from classes, without the intention to physically harass each other and make any snarky remarks about each other's bodies as I once expected. And that was an eye-opening experience, for me at least, that nudity doesn’t necessarily have to be a big deal. And as I had the opportunity to study in the United Kingdom and travel to continental Europe, I was exposed to more perspectives to nudity than it being just a societal taboo. 


From witnessing others and experiencing first-hand changing openly in locker rooms, sunbathing nude on clothing-optional beaches and hanging out in textile-free German saunas, I was curious about the practice of nudism and naturism. Most of all, I was curious about the mechanics- the level of openness deemed acceptable and justifications of such actions. 



First of all, what exactly are nudism and naturism? 


From my research, nudism suggests the act of being unclothed, with no restrictions on locations but typically for reasons that are unassociated with sexual arousal or contact. It is a lifestyle that rejects textiles, in other words, no clothes are worn at home during typical home activities including doing chores and watching the TV. 


Naturism, on the other hand, focuses on being nude in nature to achieve a personal connection with the environment, especially during leisure activities outdoors. This could include going on hikes or swims without garments, to enhance the experience of feeling a connection with Mother Earth. 


Socially, the differences between these two words seem very insignificant to many. However, those who could not bother to understand often conveniently relate them to pornography, when in fact, both attitudes in lifestyle do not directly involve sexual contact or intentions. Feeling unfair for the fact that the deliberate practise of nudity is often misunderstood or illly linked to the tabooistic topic of sex, I have decided to explore reasons to the practise of being nude, and here are what I discovered:


Perspective 1: Body confidence and positivity are encouraged

I noticed most people who are okay with being seen naked in front of others are generally more comfortable with their bodies, and there is no ‘shame’ associated with how their bodies look or their private parts. First of all, it’s recognising everyone looks different and living with it. Why be ashamed of certain body parts? We all have different hair styles, nose sizes and ear length, but if these should not be a reason to judge others or be judged for- why not the same for the rest of our body? Some might just have a little more fat, or some might spend just more time in the gym. Moreover, the genitalia are the reproductive organs that lead to possibilities of life. Understanding the anatomy and not associating it with indecency are ways to break the taboo surrounding nudity. There is no doubt that better-looking bodies curates better confidence, but from what I have seen, people in locker rooms or beaches seem to create a safe environment for others not to feel scared of judgement. When I had to change before hitting the showers in my gym locker room in the UK, no one said anything or shot me with rude stares. I have since witnessed countless naked men of all ages, sizes, and colours heading to the shower cubicles after sweaty workouts. Everyone just minded their own business- a confirmation to me that public nudity is more of a norm in the West. But for someone like me who was raised thinking it’s taboo, it still took me a while to get used to changing openly in front of strangers. 


Local students who have to shower and change together after physical education classes would generally feel more comfortable with nudity from a young age, but note that we must still address the possibilities of bullying among children due to body image discrimination. This leads to an extended discussion on why the values of inclusivity and mutual respect must be nurtured through parenting, before harm is done. Even among adults at public gender-neutral/specific changing areas e.g. gym changing rooms, it takes one the courage to strip bare, but it also takes the surrounding to respect that- not to stare, comment, make a big deal out of it or take photos without consent. People sometimes just want to do their own stuff like changing and resting after working out. Why make it hard for them?


Perspective 2: With no signs of wealth and status, naked people are equal and open

I recently read a blog post by a nudist about how generations of his family practise nudism on a daily basis. Kids are raised without clothes and as adults they naturally reject the idea of garments, unless they need to leave the house. It’s a bizarre story for me, as I believe it might be hard for the old and young people in most households to just hang out naked every day. But it does sound like it’s a norm that the extended family has created for themselves. They find no shame or discomfort in nudity, and I think that is admirable because they see each other in their most modest form with no clothes or jewellery as signs of wealth and status. They connect as a family with all vulnerability exposed, but through that, they see honesty and equality. I read that with such closer interpersonal relationships with their family members, they have little to hide and are generally more accepting of each others’ perspectives. This in turn builds a strong mutual respect and trust in the family. 


I was reminded of a discussion I had with Fiona, a Finnish lady I met at Müller'sches Volksbad, a German textile-free sauna in Munich, last December. 


Let me give you some context first. Germans are huge supporters of the FKK culture. ‘FKK’ is short for the German idiom ‘Frei-körper-kultur’, which translates to ‘culture of the free body’. In other words, nudism and naturism, with emphasis on the idea that nudity itself is not necessarily a sexual expression. ‘FKK’ is a common signage in saunas, beaches and clubs, where people are allowed to engage in activities in public without having to get dressed. On the other hand, Finland is known for her sauna cultures. Families and friends enjoy saunas together, every day if possible, since the country is usually freezing. In fact, they would build a sauna before they build a house so that the workers could rest in it when they are tired. Now, the thing is, the Finnish insist on doing saunas without clothes, even with people they are close to. This is due to a common belief that clothes are unhygienic.


As a curious person about the FKK culture in Germany, I took the chance to visit the facility when I was travelling in Munich and that was next-level eye-opening for me. I have only seen naked men in locker rooms back in the UK, but in Germany, saunas are commonly gender neutral and no clothing is allowed due to hygiene concerns. We were only allowed a towel, and your feet should never touch the sauna floor after finding yourself a spot to sit. My experience was fearful at first, but it quickly turned liberating. You can never find something like this in Malaysia, where both genders hang out naked and no one makes a rude or indecent comment. I tried my best playing it cool, and just had casual chats with people (I read that sometimes it’s rude to talk to people in saunas, but don’t worry I didn't try too hard, it sort of just happened). Fiona was on her way back to Finland, and she was stoked to find Müller'sches Volksbad, where she could enjoy the sauna heat before she heads back to Finland as she had been away for too long. She shared with me how the Finnish view getting naked as an open way to see each other as equals. As they have countless sauna sessions since young with families and friends, there is little awkwardness left between them. What’s left is respect, honesty and modesty.


I was in awe of the perspectives shared with me, but I was even more amazed by the sense of  liberation the experience had brought me. Fiona suggested I try the cold pool after each sauna session and I did so. The cold shock put a tingling sensation through my spine, it wasn’t my favourite but apparently that was what people normally do in Finland- jump into a freezing lake after spending 20 minutes in the sauna, get out and do it all over again. There was a clear room-temperature round pool in which people rested after a sauna session. I remember floating in that pool of crystal clear water with little to hide, observing the dome above me, appreciating the moment. It was immensely comfortable and liberating. And since then I hardly bring anything into my local gym sauna except for a clean towel for hygiene reasons, and I know I could never look at people who come in the same shorts they wore working out again, ever. 


Perspective 3: Being nude in nature is a divine experience

The key feature of naturism is appreciating the connection with the natural environment. Being in your birthday suit is the most natural state of human nature and it appears to allow finding a personal relevance with Mother Earth. With every inch of your skin wrapped around by the wind, sunlight, water or soil, nature brings a healing power only those who have tried it would understand. Sunbathing nude on a clothing-optional beach and skinny dipping are probably some of the most common nudism practices in Europe. 


To understand the culture, I made use of my trip to Spain to observe and experience it first-hand. Along the gorgeous fine sand beach of Maspalomas which neighbours borderless sand dunes, naturism is openly practised. The wide stretch of white sand sees locals and tourists alike, in or out of their bathing suits, enjoying the sun. I was stunned to witness crowds of bare butts, generally more males than females (I still wonder why), but I did not hesitate much to join them. The area has long been known as Europe’s capital of nudism, and families with children walk past nudists without flinching or attempting to cover the kids’ eyes. 


Baring it all outdoors in the public brings a stronger sense of liberation than any of my previous experiences. With your feet in the sand and soft sea breeze harassing your skin, the smell of salt air and warm sunlight blanket your senses completely. No inch of your body is restricted from the wind. And when you enter the sea for a dip, aqua wraps around you like a skintight glove but without pressure of any sort- it feels like I was returning to nature and it eliminated any sense of materialism I had lived with. It’s a meditating experience that I totally encourage people to try at least once in their lifetime, even if not in public. Skinny dipping in the wild is not the same as having a bath in a tub. The excitement comes from the natural moving air, soil beneath your feet and water currents that pat on your back. You have to do it once to know what it means. Also, I think my main motivation behind sunbathing nude is to ensure an adequate tan throughout my body. Were there any insecurities about my own body or about pervy predators? Nope, people there only minded their own businesses- following nude beach etiquettes (no staring, no photos, no comments- you know, the usual rules). 


I remember moments from my trip to Lagos in South Portugal, where the beaches come with huge, dramatic rocks and cliffs. I hiked in the area, walking past several sites with breath-taking scenery from the cliffs. One of which was a hidden nude beach with mostly young visitors due to the steep terrains down to the beach area. I looked down and saw sunbathers almost camouflaging in the surroundings as human skin colour belongs in the same range as the beach sand. It looked pretty much like an idea discussed above- naturists connect with nature. In fact, I think they blend into nature and become part of it. When I hiked to the cliff overlooking a famous touristy beach known as Praia Dona Ana, I watched people occupying the sandy spaces in swimsuits of various colours. The scene somehow looked much more artificial and polluted than the hidden nude beach, seeing how the contrasts in colours are much more significant. 


Perspective 4: Nudity is a form of art highly sought after

Nudity in art has been around since ancient times, as seen in paintings in the National Gallery and Greek sculptures in the British Museum. Of course, these are just examples of where you could find such artforms in the UK; they actually exist almost everywhere these days. However, what confuses people is that nudity in art can be considered as pornography if its purpose is to arouse sexual feelings in the audience. They are, in fact, two different concepts. 


Nudity in art such as sculptures and paintings is widely appreciated from the past as it showcases the beauty of lines and strengths of the human body without the restrictions of clothing. The art lies along the lines and curves of muscles as they contract and relax following the models’ change in posture. In modern days, nude photography could capture such wonders especially with the help of excellent lighting, and so it is a very popular genre. The style is capable of capturing the signs time has left on a person. For example, youth could easily be bookmarked with a photo or painting, for remembrance or as a tribute to art. 


Pornography, on the other hand, is an expression that aims to convey eroticism. Models poses in sexually arousing manners or engage in sexual actvities, intentionally to captivate the audience’s erotic feelings. It is often seen as inappropriate and is banned in most societies. 


Since we talk about art, we must recognise that art changes with perspectives. What a person believes is art might look pornographic to others, depending on the presentation and the viewer’s taste. I notice that, if nude photos are posted online (yes, Instagram bans photos of female nipples (which is unfair) and the genitalia, but we’re talking about photos with exposed butts), it is generally deemed acceptable in many Western cultures. In fact, most people naturally view it as a form of art. But in most Asian countries, nudity in art, even when strictly in non-pornographic fashion, is still considered indecent. Having such materials leaked or posted online could get you fined, sued or jailed.



These double standards have prompted me to research on the other side of the story- why nudity is not only discouraged, but even lawfully treated against in certain cultures: 


Problem 1: Nudity is often associated with sex. 

The societal construct in conservative countries like Malaysia has long observed people who view exposed skin as a sign of seduction. The lack of open-mindedness prompts perpetrators to commit sexual harrassments or assaults when they see the chance. For example, girls wearing short skirts and sleeveless tops easily attract unwanted attention. Needless to say, bikinis are an unsafe wardrobe option that might scream ‘I’m asking for it’ to some, what more if we discuss the idea of public nudity.


However, in my opinion, solely attaching the idea of exposed skin to sex is akin to listening to English music but be called supportive of British colonisation. Yes, it’s far-fetched. Nudity can be as harmless as wearing different coloured hats. Also, don’t blame the women for wearing less. Control yourselves, men. But of course, there’s a time and place for everything. Nude on a beach for adequate tanning, yes; but in a meeting room full of executives analysing your year-end sales, nope.


Problem 2: Local laws are needed to prevent indecent acts in public.

We can’t be sure to capture all perpetrators of sexual assaults, but we can prevent people from becoming victims. This is done by setting local laws that punish people who appear nude in public intentionally to commit an act of indecency. The logic behind points to targeting pervy flashers who deliberate exhibit their nude bodies in exchange for excitement or sexual pleasures. 


For example, Malaysia’s legal provisions that are commonly used against suspects charged with public nudity (referenced from AskLegal website) with evidence of intent to insult modesty of others, and with the definition of nudity extending to the witnesses’ own consideration as insult:


Section 509 of the Penal Code:

“Whoever, intending to insult the modesty of any person, utters any word, makes any sound or gesture, or exhibits any object, intending that such word or sound shall be heard, or that such gesture or object shall be seen by such person, or intrudes upon the privacy of such person, shall be punished…”


Section 28(e) of Minor Offences Act 1955:

“Every person wilfully, openly, lewdly and obscenely exposing his person with intent to insult any other person…”


However, cases where intent is not necessarily needed as a proof also exist:


Section 294(a) of the Penal Code:

“Whoever, to the annoyance of others— (a) does any obscene act in any public place…shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three months or with fine or with both.”


Problem 3: Strong religious beliefs consider public nudity as obscene. 

In 2015, the tallest peak in South East Asia, Mount Kinabalu, saw an unprecedented earthquake with a magnitude of 6.9 that led to the deaths of 18 climbers. Locals in North Borneo blamed the disaster on 10 foreign tourists whose acts of stripping bare on the mountain had triggered anger in the legendary mountain protectors just 6 days before the incidents. Natives claimed the park as a sacred ground (like a church), and demanded compensation in the form of money or livestock following local Kadazan-Dusun native customs. The legal authorities ultimately ruled the case under Federal law and the involved tourists were charged under Section 294(a) of the Penal Code.


However, Deputy Chief Minister of Sabah at that time, Tan Sri Pairin Kitingan, clarified in a statement that whether or not the tourists’ actions had a direct impact on the occurrence of the earthquake, it was the lack of respect and adherence to local customs that had put them in hot soup.


Is this another conservative perspective from the East, or evidence that legends of deities remain true after all? On the practical side, I think this serves as a reminder to all to be mindful of local laws before proceeding to practise nudism. 


Problem 4: Nudity is not necessarily always practical.

Talk about practising nudism at home but doing chores naked. It could bring you much inconvenience. For example, dust gets all over your bare skin when you vacuum the floor, which may lead to allergy reactions. Your body is more prone to injuries without a layer of external protection- think about frying or cooking food naked and doing sports without the proper gears. These are merely examples of impracticality caused by the lack of proper attire.


Hygiene is another point of consideration. Sweat glands exist in most if not all parts of the human skin. Practising nudism no doubt leaves more stains of sweat on your couches than if you are covered in clothing. This idea could already leave most people disgusted, so don’t get me started on the possibility of pubic lice, contagious skin diseases and the secretion of body fluid.


Last but not least, in tropical regions, bugs are a big headache to many, what more if you expose more skin than others? A walk in the woods may turn you into a pinkish leopard with mosquito bites all over. Think Channing Tatum’s leech-on-butt scene in The Lost City, but smaller, itchy bumps caused by insects. 



All in all, I have had a very enlightening time writing this article. From gathering information to recollecting my own experiences, I discovered the two sides of the coin of this controversial topic. Did I enjoy being a part of public nudity? Not at first, but eventually it became not really a big deal anymore. I now feel more comfortable and confident in my own skin, and appreciate that connection with the natural environment. My first experiences were like shedding a layer of insecurities and I now have little to fear mentally even without the protection of garments. And I now face life and myself with all my vulnerabilities recognised and embraced, in a self-celebrating attitude. Would I encourage others to try? Yes, but please do it in a safe and respectful manner towards yourself and others in the surrounding. Remember that there is a time and place for everything.


Questions for discussion: 

  1. Do you think nudism/naturism should be encouraged?

  2. Would you try practising/experiencing nudism or naturism?

  3. Would you feel comfortable being nude in front of someone close to you, or would you only feel safe being bare in front of strangers? 

  4. If you are a parent, how would you touch on the topic of body image and confidence with your kids? 

  5. Would you encourage conversations on attitude towards nudity or avoid them at all cost? 



By,

Euan Thum,

8/8/2022.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...