Winter is a beautiful, beautiful season when it snows. The world is in shades of white and blue, and the gloominess of the sky feels only much depressing. However, it’s in the weather which I find the most fitting time to process and heal from the past. As snow falls, it blankets everything, like a shield of comfort and beauty over the scars on your skin. I see frosty mornings with sunlight shining through forest foliage in different angles and suburban streets becoming a state of art in the snow. Anything hideous seems to receive a glam makeover and any pain would feel numb and perhaps doesn't actually matter anymore.
So despite the cold, it’s a hopeful reset.
And when the sun comes out the next day, shining over the white town that puts me in awe, over and over again. I see beauty still exists in something so utterly temporary. I then remember all the times when I think I have everything I have ever wanted forever but still fear losing them. I think about how unknown the future could be, the constant struggle to keep the blessings I have, and the lack of need to impress others and just live in my own skin. And I sometimes wonder if I could just hit pause, so every brief sight of beauty or bliss in my life could be collected or be kept forevermore, and every hint of worry for the future just caps where it is but never more.
'What Is Forever' is a collection of poems explores so many topics which I feel greatly passionate about- from struggling with an obsession with personal image, contemplating if your actions are right, fully getting over hardships in the past, taking risks, chasing dreams, to finding love and hope in the most unexpected times and praying that my blessings last forever. These are a glimpse into the overflowing tank of ideas I have had in my head for the past year. Many of these stories happened in Winter, or were inspired by the beauty of the icy season. My creative mind needed a chapter of escapism into the Winter Wonderland where time exists differently. Over there, every strand of memories remains vivid and the beauty in all memorable moments never fades away. Things there are beautiful, forever. And so, I allowed my ink to flow.
So what is forever?
It appears we will never know, as no one soul could last that many winters. But I find comfort thinking that ‘forever’ lies in every moment we live. Appreciate time for every single bit, and that is capturing to the fullest of our bliss. That is the pause button we seek. That is what the longest ‘forever’ could mean.
'What Is Forever?' consists of 37 brand new poems and will be released later this year. And I hope you love it as much as I do.
By,
Euan Thum.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment