Iceland is a place where many would call an ‘Alien Planet’, given its majestic landscapes that look out of the world, and its co-existence of both glaciers and geothermal heat. This gorgeous island stands isolated in the far end of the world, but remains one of the most popularly visited countries (in normal pre-Covid climate). My trip there had included guided tours to hike not one but two glaciers, snorkel in a fissure and a boat tour in a glacier lagoon which beauty only took my breath away. These experiences were made incredibly informative by the guides, who had incredible work ethics especially when it comes to environmental protection. I remember learning about climate change and global warming in school, but getting to Iceland opened my eyes to witness these phenomena right before me. My horizon was widened when I had thought-provoking discussions with my guides on the unique Icelandic landscapes and the impact brought forward by geotourism.
Katla Ice Cave has been one of the most popular destinations in Iceland for the past seven years. Located in the Kötlujökull glacier, it belongs to the Mýrdalsjökull glacier, which is the fourth biggest in the entire Iceland. Our tour guide provided us with crampons before we started hiking onto the glaciers- they provide a better grip and are essential at such locations. ‘Are these rocks?’ I asked. The valley of black, wet-looking rocky hills was in fact made up of ice covered in volcanic ash and dust. The guide picked up a rugged piece of rock in a mysterious pitch black. ‘This is an obsidian, also known as Dragonglass in Game of Thrones,’ he explained, before proceeding to smash it in half with another piece next to his feet. The broken sides now look sharp with cutting edges, which similarity to actual glass was observed. ‘It was formed in the rapid cooling of natural lava, and it can be harder than glass,’ he explained while passing the stone to me carefully.
We continued the hike for a bit before we came to a clearing. I could see now that some of the ice was melting. Streams of water flowed down the icy valley walls, some from altitudes enough to call a sliding waterfall, some ran lazily by our feet. I looked up, and was shocked by what I saw- an arch made of ice appeared before me. ‘This WAS the Katla Ice Cave,’ the guide muttered, almost with a hint of sadness in his voice, ‘the arch will fall any moment now, and latest by September (It was July when I visited), the whole thing should be gone.’ That was the first slap on my face on how the environment is actually diminishing. Katla Ice Cave looked absolutely astonishing in pictures- tourists were able to enter the cave for excursion but now no one was allowed near it in case of collapse. In fact, guides had to take control of the number of people getting close to the remains of the ice cave, as even the heat radiating off our skin poses threats to speeding up the melting process.
‘I have lived and worked here as a guide for two years. Every time before I come over to this site, I never ask my colleagues what is different. I only ask- what is the same. ‘Cuz that’s how glaciers work. They changed so rapidly that no one could keep track.’ According to the guide, glaciers are moving rivers. It is solid, but at the same time, it moves. Much poetic as he sounded, I learned that ice caves were formed when there was a stream of water in a block of ice. That flowing stream enlarged the hole, and after time, it became so big that humans could enter. Some ice caves remain for years, open to tourists all year long (some only during winter), and eventually they disappear as their valley shifts. This showed how vulnerable our environment has become partially due to human activity. In a way, global warming speeds up the melting and movement of glaciers, and I was there to witness the last months of what remains of the Katla Ice Cave- something that had lasted for years. If anyone asks me if global warming is a hoax, I would ask them to think twice.
We continued the hike for a bit before we came to a clearing. I could see now that some of the ice was melting. Streams of water flowed down the icy valley walls, some from altitudes enough to call a sliding waterfall, some ran lazily by our feet. I looked up, and was shocked by what I saw- an arch made of ice appeared before me. ‘This WAS the Katla Ice Cave,’ the guide muttered, almost with a hint of sadness in his voice, ‘the arch will fall any moment now, and latest by September (It was July when I visited), the whole thing should be gone.’ That was the first slap on my face on how the environment is actually diminishing. Katla Ice Cave looked absolutely astonishing in pictures- tourists were able to enter the cave for excursion but now no one was allowed near it in case of collapse. In fact, guides had to take control of the number of people getting close to the remains of the ice cave, as even the heat radiating off our skin poses threats to speeding up the melting process.
Katla Ice Cave in the past. Photo taken from Google.
What’s left of Katla Ice Cave when I visited.
‘I have lived and worked here as a guide for two years. Every time before I come over to this site, I never ask my colleagues what is different. I only ask- what is the same. ‘Cuz that’s how glaciers work. They changed so rapidly that no one could keep track.’ According to the guide, glaciers are moving rivers. It is solid, but at the same time, it moves. Much poetic as he sounded, I learned that ice caves were formed when there was a stream of water in a block of ice. That flowing stream enlarged the hole, and after time, it became so big that humans could enter. Some ice caves remain for years, open to tourists all year long (some only during winter), and eventually they disappear as their valley shifts. This showed how vulnerable our environment has become partially due to human activity. In a way, global warming speeds up the melting and movement of glaciers, and I was there to witness the last months of what remains of the Katla Ice Cave- something that had lasted for years. If anyone asks me if global warming is a hoax, I would ask them to think twice.
By,
Euan Thum.
Comments
Post a Comment