Iceland has stunned me over and over again with its exceptional nature, and the thing even more awe-inspiring was the local attitudes towards appreciating and conserving their environments. I must confess that this trip had been tremendously fruitful, with so many out-of-this-world sightings of waterfalls, and mountains. Beyond the touristy things I have surely taken the chances to experience, I am most grateful for the opportunity to learn about how glaciers are formed, how climate change and global warming are impacting the nature in Iceland, and the locals’ attitude as well as work ethics towards committing to care for the environment. Like I said previously, learning about the deteriorating environment in textbooks and witnessing the phenomena proving it is real are two different things. Sometimes it takes a hands-on experience like my trip to understand in-depth the issues being faced by our Mother Earth. Thus, I hope this article can provide useful insights for those who have yet gotten the chance to travel during this pandemic, and remind everyone that the small little things we do in life actually do contribute to the wellbeing of our environment. For example, the open burning of rubbish and dried leaves is actually speeding up the melting process of glaciers- it’s not necessarily in front of you, but IT IS happening.
There my summer went by so quickly, but definitely productive and mind-blowing in so many ways. Here’s to more fruitful summers ahead. Thanks for reading.
By,
Euan Thum.
Comments
Post a Comment