Skip to main content

Natural VS Manmade Hot Springs

A huge unmissable feature of Iceland is its geothermal energy. Strategically located in a volcanic zone, the country is home to one of the most reliable (available 365 days a year, unlike wind and solar energy) biodegradable energy. This leaves us no doubt that hot springs are a norm in such a place. Did you know, there are two different types of hot springs available- manmade and natural? I found time to visit one of each, to enlighten myself of their differences, and to learn more about the sustainability of running them.


Reykjadalur is a valley with a natural hot spring river running. It took us approximately an hour to hike to the swimming spot, but the hike was fun and there were occasional passing-by horses and their trainers. The air smelt like a mixture of sulphur, horse dung and grass. There were only a few wooden fences built next to the river to facilitate open changing of clothes and to my slight disappointment, the river was shallow to my calves. However, it was sufficient to submerge my body when I laid flat, and it was mildly filled with people. This open valley was a simple enjoyment if you like a free experience, since getting to enjoy a warm bath in the middle of nowhere is a luxury. No one seemed to be managing the place- only the visitors were holding each other accountable for not stealing clothes or leaving behind unwanted trash. Other than that, it was all natural- the heat, the river bed and everything.


Blue Lagoon, on the other hand, is one of the most commercialised tourist attractions near Reykjavik. The blue, chalky (thanks to the rich silica) water was not the only reason captivating visitors, its complete set of luxurious facilities that include a cafe, changing areas, free towels and a complimentary mud mask and drinks multiplied the charm. The lagoon was born when Svartsengi Resource Park started channeling excess geothermal energy to a neighbouring reservoir formed in a lava field. The energy-harvesting facility could be seen from the Blue Lagoon, and despite the overwhelmingly advertised benefits of the lagoon water and claims of sustainable adaptation of the facilities to its surrounding habitat, one can’t help but wonder if soaking in the lagoon is actually eco-friendly. For example, the need to build and maintain the spa and shower facilities could consume more energy and water than necessary. The drinks store located right in the middle of the lagoon promotes the use of disposable plastic cups/bottles for their visitors’ convenience, but rather, many irresponsible people leave their used cups by (or in) the ‘pool’. Visitors are charged GBP40 for the cheapest entry package, yet, flocks of tourists seem not to mind but continue to support this highly commercialised geotourism. For the experience, it was completely worth the price- but if one could get something entirely natural, why settle for something manmade?



By,
Euan Thum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...