Skip to main content

Azah Sensei

Is learning a foreign language essential? Yup. And perhaps people would wanna learn Spanish, French or maybe Italia, or maybe Korean. But, I, Euan Thum, go for Japanese. Obviously.
 
  Being a student in English College, one of many issues that make me feel proud is that we are offered free Japanese classes. I feel beyond grateful that I have a chance to learn the language here and I’m under our very own Azah Sensei’s guidance. She’s a funny, responsible and great teacher. I’ve only got classes for like, two years, but I’m now okay with reading, writing and basic communicating with people in the language. Thanks to our teacher, it’s all her efforts that make us feel that Japanese is both enthralling and easy to be learnt.                   

  Not only talking ‘bout Japanese grammar, Azah Sensei also talks about the delectable cultures they all have in Japan, news feed of our school managements and so on which you can never find it tedious to learn more about them. This made our lesson full of jokes, laughter and not forgotten all those latest information ‘bout the school and Japan.
  Azah Sensei always tells us that we having Japanese classes is not to be ‘Japanised’ but to increase our knowledge and take in what’s good in their cultures.                         
 
  We are all taught to write, read, speak and listen to Japanese. Not a hard one for me as it’s almost like Chinese. It’s really easy for someone like me. All those grammars, vocabs, particles, greetings were mostly taught and yet we’re learning informal Japanese next year. I mean, communicative Japanese. It’s all gonna be so fun.
  Other than that, this 33-year-old teacher also has plans and arrangements for us to greet the students from several secondary schools from Japan when they pay their visits here. I went for the activities twice last years, andt that were when I gained two Japanese friends. This, is something you can hardly find at other school. Green eyes- green eyes- HAHAHA!                               
  At a corner of in our classroom, there’s a table with plenty of Japanese traditional toys on it. Sensei said that it’s actually for exhibition, but it seems like we don’t care at all, we just play them when we’re free. Lol. There are also a rack full of mangas and CDs. There are all for the students to borrow. And all stories are interesting enough to read and watch. Azah Sensei plays the CDs using a television as for the purpose of visualized lessons too.
  Japanese is a really nice language to learn and Azah Sensei is just the right person to teach us. Don’t get me wrong, I’m trying to say that I’m grateful for being lucky enough to have free lessons for this foreign language at school.


By,
Euan Thum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Being—A Complex Organism

Human beings are complex and special organisms as there is a complex organisation of cells in the human body. The organisation in the human body is summarised as follows: Cells—> Tissues—> Organs—> Systems—> Organism.   The same type of cells which carry out a specific function are organised into a tissue. For examples, a group of muscle cells form a muscle tissue while a group of nerve cells form a nerve tissue. They are organised to work together to perform specific functions as the result of cells in the human body do not work individually.     An organ is a group of tissue that cooperates to carry out a specific life process. For examples, a group of muscle tissues, epithelial tissues and connective tissues form blood vessels. Several organs are organised into a system. Each system consist of several organs which are organised to carry out life processes such as respiration, reproduction and digestion.     Various systems in th...

I am Euan Thum. This is my story.

No one is born a leader, but no one is born to stay shy and quiet forever too. I was a timid and unconfident boy who grew to celebrate individuality.  I discovered my passion in poetry in high school and I never stopped exploring what I can create. I co-founded a society in college to share the love for poetry and had organised poetry recitals to help others discover its beauty. My poems have now been featured in several international publications and journals.  During the global pandemic, I released two poetry collections for charity, which have raised more than RM1k combined! Poetry was an incredible flotation device and artistic outlet for me during the pandemic, and being able to share my art with the world allows me to connect with others in ways I never imagined before.  Over the years, I became committed to enrich the community around me through volunteering and fundraising. This propels me towards fighting for important causes in our society including wildlife con...

Working With Passion

I've long worked behind the lens. When I started experimenting with photography almost a decade ago, I was heavily criticised for the wrong angles, the misfocused subjects, and my pointless artistry. I tried and tried without proper equipment or professional guidance, but the determination to validate my photography skills had kept me going against the currents of criticism. In the midst of helping others 'capture a moment', as I would call it, I saw myself starting to request for similar photos to be taken for me, in hopes of keeping memories of my own in photographs. One person told me once, 'You're kinda like a model'. That was about 4 years ago, when I had finished high school for a couple of months. My hair was flowing a little freer than before and I had more time on my hands to run around Johor Bahru with my friends, looking for adventures and photoshoots. That 5-word line was an inspiration I did not see coming. In fact, I did not realise it had done the...