What kind
of ‘must-do’ that we have in Japan? Eating raw fish? Flowers Viewing? No no no
no no. It is praying!
By,
Euan Thum.
There are so many temples and shrines in
Japan as the people often go to pray. The first temple I got to visit was
Zojoji Temple, which was just a short walk down from Tokyo Tower. Well, believe
me, the two buildings in one scene was beyond-gorgeous. The temple was big and
it has a store selling souvenirs and praying papers. My Dad got one and he tied
the paper near a wooden board, where people do the same thing there.
I went to Asakusa where the Kanimori Mon
Temple was located. At the outside, it was terribly crowded with the murmuring
people. Everyone was talking in some kinda language that I didn’t get to
understand. I mean, I knew that they were speaking Japanese but I did not
understand at all as they were all talking in a lightning speed. In the great
hall, people were kneeling down and praying. Some were throwing coins into the
wishing well after saying their wishes while some were taking pictures of the
statues of their gods behind the glass.
Out of the sacred place, there were all kinds
of stalls set up to sell various kinds of souvenirs such Hachimakis, scarves
and so on. The street was so busy that I had to keep my body moving as to avoid
bumping into other people.
In Harajuku, there was a shrine too. It was
‘hidden’ in the middle of a forest. Well…. It was actually a palace, which
owned vast areas of trees and all kinds of plants. The walking paths were made
out stones and it directed us to the shrine, where people prayed for happiness,
blessing and more. The place wasn’t creepy at all; it made me feel holy as I
could almost feel the magical power rose from the Earth. And it was nearly
crowded too. There were so many people but fortunately, the roads were wide
enough.
The sunlight could barely shine in as it was
blocked by the complicated branches of the trees. It felt so much like a holy
ground where the evils couldn’t step in at all. I felt so safe here.
By,
Euan Thum.



Comments
Post a Comment